Sunday, February 19, 2012

NaBloPoMo #19 ~

NaBloPoMo February 2012
...more free writing...

It's been a really busy weekend around here.  

Friday night, we went out with friends, leaving the girls at someone else's house (a house we'd been to several times for get-togethers) with a babysitter we didn't know (she is a nurse's aide and was watching our friend's kids).
The 'out' part was a first for me.  It was a pub crawl...something I had never done before.  I'm not a 'bar person.'  Haven't ever darkened the door of more than the one bar I went to on my 21st birthday with college friends.  Which in and of itself is humorous because I went to college in a dry county, so there was only beer (HATE) and wine coolers (tolerable) served there.
Anyway...there was a 'one drink minimum' per bar and thankfully water counted because I don't drink much of anything.  The night progressed and we were at a bar/dance place and it was so much stinkin' fun dancing with friends!  It's been years since I've high school prom...and I forgot how much I enjoyed it.  Sure, it was a bit strange being around all those gussied up twenty somethings and I got the feeling that some of them were wondering who let all the old folks out of the nursing home, but honestly I didn't care.  It's been a long, long time since I had 'fun' and felt like it didn't matter what was going on in my life and the stresses of the week faded into the pulsing bass.
The 'leaving the girls' part was less than ideal.  I was a bit concerned when the babysitter showed up with her year old son.  Sure, he was cuter than cute, but I know how it is with a little one in a different house...full attention must be paid at all times, not leaving a whole lot for the kiddo with D.  She seemed to understand all of my general information and directions before we left, but I still wasn't 100% confident.
I have no idea how it happened, but Bean's pod got alarm, just said 'no active pod' when I was giving her instructions over the phone for a temp basal when Bean went from 90 to 80 after a snack.  I told her not to worry about changing the pod...wasn't comfortable with her doing it...and since Bean tends to crash in the night after an evening of fun with friends, I was OK with her not having any insulin.  She was in the low 200s when I checked her in the wee hours when we got 'home' and I went ahead and slapped a new pod on her to keep her from going any higher.

Saturday night, we had another 'evening out with friends.'  It was WAY tamer.  We went to the Fasching/Marti Gras event put on by the local German Club.  (Trying to build connections between them and the school Bean goes to.)  A friend made us amazing masks and we went as earth, fire, and water.  We had a nice evening listening to polka music surrounded by adorable senior citizens.
The girls hung out with the grandparents and had a great time.  Bean called me once to double check the bolus amount for the chocolate covered marshmallows on a stick she had earned for being a trooper during her blood draw on Friday.

Today has been a 'do nothing' day.  Well, not nothing because I've folded laundry, have another two in the process, and have unloaded and loaded the dishwasher.  BUT, we did get to sleep in and have just lounged around all day and that has been really nice.

1 comment:

  1. Love lounge days :)

    So happy you were able to have a night out -- even if there were technical difficulties -- I'd say that the low 200's is a WINNER after being with a new sitter!


Hey, Thanks for sharing!! Your comments make me :)!!
Had to turn on comment moderation due to silly spammers....